Augmented Reality Application Development South Africa
Afriten Technologies is an AR development company in Johannesburg, South Africa. We have been creating Augmented reality applications and AR experience for over 10 years in the South African Market for top South African and international brands, making us one of the longest providers of Augmented Reality solutions in South Africa to date! We started out as Total Immersion partners who were the global leaders of Augmented Reality development at the time.
In 2009, we created the first ever Augmented Reality kiosk Windows-based application in South Africa! The kiosk AR app was used at a country-wide road show for Volkswagen, for their new VW Polo launch. Please see the Youtube video below from the roadshow which shows our AR kiosks in action at one of the roadshow events. It consisted of a 42" LCD kiosk with a high res Sony video camera and camera stream capture card running an Augmented Reality Windows-based Application. The AR marker used was a double-sided A4 full colour printed cardboard page. Guests could hold the page up to the screen revealing the new Polo Motor Vehicle. One side of the page showed a 3D model of the new car driving on a road, the other side of the page showed a 3D model of the car that could be rotated around in 360 degrees. Guests could tap on the page to change the car features such as car colours and rim designs.
What is Augmented Reality (AR)?
Augmented reality also referred to as AR is a software application that combines virtual 2D/3D or video elements with a live camera feed to create a mixed reality experience. It is a growing technology that is proving itself as a very useful tool in our everyday lives.
Types and categories of Augmented Reality?
Several categories of augmented reality technology exist, each with varying differences in their objectives and applicational use cases. Below, we will go through the various types of technologies that make up augmented reality:
Marker Based Augmented Reality
Marker-based augmented reality (also called Image Recognition) uses a camera and some type of visual markers, such as a QR/2D code, to produce a result only when the marker is sensed by a reader. Marker-based applications use a camera on the device to distinguish a marker from any other real-world object.
Markerless Based Augmented Reality
As one of the most widely implemented applications of augmented reality, markerless (also called location-based, position-based, or GPS) augmented reality, uses a GPS, digital compass, velocity meter, or accelerometer which is embedded in the device to provide data based on your location.
Superimposition based augmented reality
Superimposition based augmented reality either partially or fully replaces the original view of an object with a newly augmented view of that same object. In superimposition based augmented reality, object recognition plays a vital role because the application cannot replace the original view with an augmented one if it cannot determine what the object is.
Afriten Technologies Augmented Reality Services that we offer in South Africa:
We offer Augmented Reality hardware such as AR kiosks, High Spec tablets for rental to run your AR application at your event or expo, AR Smart Glasses rental that guests can wear at your event to experience your AR. We also offer Windows PC based, Mobile, Tablet and Smart Glasses AR Development that is created in Unity 3D.
There are many uses for Augmented Reality that can be applied to any campaign or environment, namely:
- Event Live On-Stage Augmented Reality – Captivate your audience with a live AR presentation on stage along with the use of mixed reality smart glasses/goggles or a live camera and digital stream on stage showing jaw-dropping 3D CGI content.
- Mall Live Activational Augmented Reality AR - We set up a live video stream on a large LED display screen showing live streaming video content from a particular area. When the public or passers-by walk into this AR activation area, they see themselves on the big screen with 3D imagery and 3D animating characters appearing around themselves. The activational AR software tracks the person in this space and allows them to interact with the 3D virtual content.
- Invite Augmented Reality AR - Use AR for your event invitations. Guest can print the invite and go to a website and view the AR using their standard laptop webcam.
- At Home Augmented Reality AR – The web allows thousands of users to engage with it in their own space and time using their own computers and / or laptops. Creativity can run wild with AR face tracking applications and experiences as well as interactive AR games using cards/printed markers. Superimposition based augmented reality allows you to download and install AR applications on to your smartphone or table for home decor applications which allow you to envision how new products such as furniture or electronics can look placed in your home.
- Kiosk Augmented Reality – Use our or your own existing hardware in the event/retail/exhibition space to get customers to engage with the Augmented Reality AR software experience. We code and track your product/s or brochures as the AR marker/s.
- Mobile Augmented Reality AR (AR using Smartphones – iPhone and Android phones) –Let the customer engage with the AR wherever they are on their mobile devices.
- Tablet Augmented Reality AR – Similar to the mobile but on a bigger screen. iPad and Tablet stock available to rent for your next event. Create an AR wall at your next exhibition and make use of a tablet or AR glasses to allow guests to view a mixed reality experience at your stand.
- Augmented Reality AR Glasses or AR Smart Glasses/Goggles – Let the user see and experience it with their own eyes via specially designed mixed reality glasses. Mixed Reality devices such as the Microsoft HoloLens are capable of understanding your real-world environment and seamlessly blending CGI items/holograms into it.
- Amusement Park Augmented Reality – create an amusement ride using AR technology.
- FacIal Augmented Reality AR - Add real-time facial recognition technology to your AR application that will allow the users face to be tracked in the space.
- Augmented Reality Gamification - We create multiplayer interactive Augmented Reality tactical/competitive games.
* Augmented Reality AR is rated 1 of the top 10 disruptive technologies beyond 2012.